After extensive public consultation on the project in 2011, local residents and businesses expressed an overwhelming preference for a full closure for one construction season rather than maintaining alternate one-way traffic over two construction seasons.
The District of Saanich decided to take advantage of the low traffic volumes due to the bridge closure to install a new sewer line along along Gorge Road between Admirals Road and Tillicum Road. Traffic management was possible because the traffic on Gorge Road was reduced by 75%.
Key points from the contractor’s Traffic Management Plan:
- Admirals Road between Island Highway and Gorge Road is closed to vehicles.
- Access to local residents and businesses as well as for emergency response will be maintained.
Pedestrians and cyclists can use the pedestrian crossing. Cyclists are asked to dismount as a safety precaution.COMPLETE (east side of bridge is open to pedestrians and cyclists).
- Traffic signal timing for intersections in the area are changed to minimize delays.
- The Town of View Royal has designated Island Highway as a truck route for the duration of construction.
- A new left turn signal has been installed on Craigflower Road at Admirals Road.
Admirals Road from Gorge Road to Cowper Street closed to through traffic– COMPLETE. Construction on Admirals Road requires short term closures or alternating traffic– COMPLETE. Traffic may be directed to either Gorge Road or Cowper Street rather than having both options– COMPLETE. The #11 bus route has been rerouted from Admirals Road to Colquitz Avenue– COMPLETE.
Click here for a map showing alternate routes during the road closure.
A significant bonus was offered to the Contractor for early completion, however it soon became apparent that the acquisition of steel required for the Bridge girders would delay the project. Following the steel delievery, there was an additional month needed to modify some of the welded joints.
Click here for more information about the project schedule.