Admirals Road from Island Highway/Craigflower Road to Cowper Street is closed to vehicle traffic for the duration of the project. Some of the changes to the road network to facilitate travel are:
- Island Highway from Admirals Road to Six Mile Road is temporarily designated as a truck route for the duration of the project;
- Traffic signal timing is adjusted at the following intersections:
* Island Highway and Helmcken Road,
* Island Highway/Craigflower Road and Admirals Road,
* Craigflower Road and Tillicum Road,
* Gorge Road West and Tillicum Road,
* Tillicum Road and Trans Canada Highway, and
* Admirals Road and Trans Canada Highway;
- Electronic message boards are set up on primary approach roads and traffic advisory signs are posted on applicable roadways.
Click here for a map showing alternate routes during the road closure.
The potential for drivers to shortcut through local streets to avoid the construction is of concern as typically these roads do not have sidewalks.
With the closure of Admirals Road, we’re seeing an increase in traffic on Tillicum Road. Please remember to not block any intersections as a courtesy to the local residents in the area, especially during heavy and slow moving traffic times. Not only is blocking intersections dangerous, it can also impede emergency vehicles as well as disrupt the flow of local traffic.
Traffic volumes and speeds are being monitored, and efforts will be made to ensure safety is maintained for pedestrians and cyclists. Saanich Police are keeping an eye on driver behavior.