For Immediate Release
Craigflower Bridge Replacement Project Nearing Completion
Project, which also includes upgrades to Admirals Road, made possible thanks to federal Gas Tax Fund
April 26, 2014 – View Royal and Saanich
The Craigflower Bridge Replacement Project, linking the Town of View Royal and the District of Saanich, is nearing completion. The bridge is anticipated to re-open to vehicular traffic in early to mid-May. The replacement of the 80-year-old Craigflower Bridge, which now includes three vehicle lanes, bike lanes, widened sidewalks and enhanced lighting means that residents and businesses alike will benefit from an improved, and safer, significant transportation route.
The project also includes several upgrades to Admirals Road, between Island Highway and Gorge Road, such as the construction of new sidewalks, bike lanes and safety features, stormwater treatment facilities and rain gardens, as well as the replacement of sanitary sewer lines, storm drains and water mains and a complete road reconstruction.
The completed project will cost just over $15.5 million, and was made possible thanks to nearly $14 million through the federal Gas Tax Fund, over $1.2 million from the Town of View Royal and $320,000 from the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia.
- The Government of Canada provides $250,697,000 in annual funding for municipal infrastructure in British Columbia through the federal Gas Tax Fund.
- The Union of British Columbia Municipalities (UBCM) administers the Gas Tax Fund in BC, in collaboration with Canada and British Columbia.
- Since 2006, the federal Gas Tax Fund has made approximately $9.2 millionavailable to the Town of View Royal and $32 million to the District of Saanich.
“Our Government is proud to provide municipalities with flexible infrastructurefunding that allows them to support projects that address the needs of their community, like the Craigflower Bridge replacement. The improvements made possible through the federal Gas Tax Fund will ensure safer travel for local residents, businesses and visitors for years to come.”
Member of Parliament for Okanagan-Coquihalla
“The new Craigflower Bridge is a stellar example of B.C.’s partnership in the Gas Tax Fund. Through this partnership, we have accomplished this important infrastructure project that will improve transportation, foster growth and contribute to a more sustainable environment for a stronger British Columbia.”
MLA for Peace River South
On behalf of Coralee Oakes
Minister of Community, Sport and Cultural Development
“Our new Craigflower Bridge is a legacy project that connects two grand neighbourhoods. It fulfills a commitment to our residents, our businesses, our First Nations and to our region and is a lasting statement rooted in the principles of “healthy communities” and our investment in prosperity.”
Mayor, Town of View Royal
“The Craigflower Bridge replacement provides a significant upgrade to the Capital Region’s transportation network. I am pleased the federal Gas Tax Fund has supported this cooperative project between the Town of View Royal and the District of Saanich.”
- Learn more about the replacement of the Craigflower Bridge.
- See how the federal Gas Tax Fund provides long-term funding to help local governments build and revitalize their local infrastructure.
- For additional information on the New Building Canada Plan.
- Consult Canada’s Economic Action Plan to learn more about the Government of Canada’s focus on jobs and the economy.
– 30 –
Office of the Minister of Infrastructure, Communities and Intergovernmental Affairs and Minister of the Economic Development Agency of Canada for the Regions of Quebec
Superintendent of Engineering
Town of View Royal
Jim Hemstock, P. Eng.
District of Saanich
Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development
Director of Communications